The THI is presenting a rather exciting event as part of this years Prescot Festival called Prescot Remembers.
Prescot Remembers will mark the 100th anniversary of the unveiling of Prescot’s War Memorial – one of the earliest memorials to the fallen of the First World War in the country – in the grounds of St Marys Church, whilst also remembering those loved and lost in the First and Second World Wars through informative, entertaining and fun activities.
Prescot Remembers will take place on Saturday 18th June 2016
The activities which are all FREE TO ATTEND are:
- an inflatable assault course open to anyone aged over 5 (12pm-3pm, Vicarage walled garden behind the Parish Church Meeting Room)
- a talk and Q and A with Erich Kirster, a German Second World War veteran who was held prisoner locally during the war and settled here afterwards (14:00-14:45 – in Marquees outside the Parish Church on Church Street)
- a talk about the war memorial and Prescot during the First World War by Stephen Nulty, local historian and founder of Prescot Roll of Honour (15:00-16:00 Parish Church Meeting Room)
- goals with Cables Football Club, Church Street
- vintage cars, war time memorabilia and ice lollies, Church Street
For a copy of the poster covering the day’s activities, please click here: Prescot Remembers
The ‘Prescot Remembers’ events lead neatly on to ‘From Darkness to Light’ to be held at 19:00 in the Parish Church. Singers from across the region will join the Prescot Festival Chorus for a special ‘Come and Sing’ performance of Mozart’s ‘Requiem’ with conductor James Luxton (Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral), organist Peter Kwater and guest soloists. The second half includes the award-winning Wigan youth Brass Band, fresh from their tour of Italy. Booking is required for ‘From Darkness to light’ and tickets are £5 (under 16’s free if accompanied by an adult).
There are lots of other dramatic, musical and historical events happening at this year’s Prescot Festival, which runs for ten days Friday 17th – Sunday 26th June. Full details are here.